Saturday, May 9, 2009

Life is.....

what happens while you're making other plans. For the last couple of days anyway. The plan is to stop at the lake on the way back into town most days, with the exception of rainy weather and my Thursday evening shift. I've only been able to stop 2 afternoons so far. I had to work late yesterday and had to do errands and some shopping tonight because I'll be without a car on Monday. I hope this isn't going to become a trend....

Bird sighting alert! Today was an exceptional day for spying new birds to add to my list. Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm starting a list of all the birds I see this summer. I obtained a copy of a list of birds most likely to be seen in this area, and have been checking them off when I can positively identify them. A cheap, fun project. I can carry my binocs and list in the car with me all the time.

I added a Baltimore Oriele this morning at my client's house. It was kind of exciting...she had never seen one and she called me into the living room to see the unusual orange bird in the yard. I told her what it was and we watched him for several minutes. I picked up a couple oranges for her to add to her feeder.

Then this afternoon, I sighted an Indigo Bunting. He was sitting on a white pine waiting for his turn at the feeders-which were full of goldfinches and the grosbeak couple. It's been several years since I've seen one.

On my way to go shopping, I also got to add a pair of Common Loons to my list. They were in the flooding area(an overflow) of Houghton Lake. Then just past them, I saw a pair of Canada Geese and at least 6 goslings, still tiny and fuzzy. Can we say "awww"? How cute! The duck crossing sign has been uncovered(they put a board over it in the winter), and soon we'll be seeing snapping turtles on the road warming themselves in the sun.

I talked to Son tonight. He got to see live chickens up close and personal, for the first time in his life. I got a real chuckle out of it, he was sooo excited. He said that the city of Cleveland had just recently approved allowing chickens to be raised within the city limits and someone has a permaculture garden area that he went to view, along with the chickens.

I've got to move along for this evening...

~Thanks For Stopping By~

1 comment:

  1. So Leigh, you're a bird watcher. First thing you know you'll be carrying cards of clubs and other orgnizations, subscribing to odd magazines and traveling to exotic places just to catch a glimpse of some rare Siberian goose.

    DB

    ReplyDelete